Monday, April 13, 2009

Insolvency Process in New York -- Encore!

Last month I posted the final installment in my series of articles on the insurance insolvency process in New York. Since completing the series I have received a number of requests for the entire series. To accommodate these requests I have combined the series into one document and have posted it in pdf format on my web site, which can be accessed here: www.pbnylaw.com.

As I state in the introduction to this article, since the Mid-1980s I have represented managements, shareholders, policyholders, claimants, reinsurers (both as creditors and as debtors) and purchasers of insurance operations in liquidation or rehabilitation in New York. During that time I have observed the handling (or mishandling) of the receivership process spanning the administrations of five Governors and eight superintendents. Each new administration has vowed to “do something” about the system, and in particular address the “mess” at the Liquidation Bureau. What has been clear from these efforts over the years is that the “mess” has been largely misunderstood and the entrenchment and resilience of the Bureau grossly underestimated.

It is hoped that this article will help those trying to wend their way through the maze of the insolvency process to pursue their interests in an insolvent estate; and in the process spotlight the myths and misunderstandings surrounding the roles -- statutory or de facto -- of the superintendent, the Insurance Department, the Liquidation Bureau and the security funds.

If you have a problem in accessing the article through the link above, please e-mail me at pbickford@pbnylaw.com, and I will send you the article by return e-mail.

No comments: